$2B Talc Baby Powder Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson Stands After US Supreme Court Rejects Appeal
The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear Johnson & Johnson’s appeal of a $2.12 billion verdict awarded to 22 women who claimed their ovarian cancer was caused by asbestos in the company’s talc baby powder. This was J&J’s last hope for overturning the massive verdict that was originally $4.69 billion.
Free Consultation: If you or a loved one used Johnson & Johnson talcum powder and developed ovarian cancer we invite you to call West Law Firm for a Free Case Evaluation at 1-877-943-9378 (WEST).
Initially, Johnson & Johnson appealed the case to the Missouri Court of Appeals asking it to throw out the compensatory and punitive damages awards. Last year, that state appellate court ultimately ruled against J&J but reduced the $4.69 billion jury verdict to $2.12 billion.
J&J then appealed the $2.12 billion verdict to the Missouri Supreme Court, which declined to hear the appeal in November. That prompted J&J to appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court–it’s last chance at overturning the verdict. Now that the Supreme Court has declined to hear the appeal, J&J has run out of legal options to overturn the multi-billion dollar verdict and must pay up.
Why Was the Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder Verdict so Large?
Below are just a few of the highlights the jury and the Missouri Court of Appeals relied on when rendering and upholding the multi-billion dollar talc baby powder verdict against J&J:
- The Missouri Court of Appeals Found Proof of Johnson & Johnson’s “Evil Motive or Reckless Indifference”
- A 2018 Reuters investigation of Johnson & Johnson found that J&J knew for decades that its talc product contained asbestos.
- Johnson & Johnson internal records dating back to 1966 from J&J showed that they knew their raw talc and finished powders often tested positive for asbestos.
What Does the $2B Verdict Mean for Other Women Who Used Talc Baby Powder and Developed Ovarian Cancer?
Johnson & Johnson said that it faces more than 19,000 other cases that allege similar facts. J&J has already settled a small fraction of these cases. Most of these cases, however, are still being prosecuted by law firms like us here at West Law Firm. If you or a loved one used Johnson & Johnson’s talc baby powder products and developed ovarian cancer, please call us today for a Free Consultation to discuss your rights and options.
You will likely have a limited amount of time to file a claim. There may also be several waves of settlements. So, the sooner you file a claim, the more likely you are to be included in the first wave of settlements. Our toll free number is 1-877-943-9378, and there’s No Fee unless you win.
4 Questions to Find Out if You Have a Talcum Powder Case?
At West Law Firm, we help clients who may have been injured from using Johnson & Johnson’s talcum powder. If you answer yes to the questions below you may be entitled to significant compensation. Suppose you answered no to some of the questions below and yes to others. In that case, we suggest you call us for a free case evaluation or call another firm of your choice to determine if you have a case:
#1 Did you or a loved one use one of the following powders as a part of a feminine hygiene routine?
- Johnson & Johnson
- Shower to Shower
- Gold Bond
#2 Did you or your loved one use the previously mentioned talcum powder products for four or more years?
#3 Have you or your loved one been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer?
#4 Did you or your loved one receive your cancer diagnosis in 2005? If diagnosed before 2005 and you have the medical records, we may still be able to help.
How Much Compensation Will You Receive for Your Talc Baby Powder Case?
It’s impossible to determine the exact amount a talc powder case is worth without knowing all the facts. The details of your claim will help determine how much your talcum powder case is worth. If a lawyer sues the manufacturer or supplier of talc-based products on your behalf, you could receive the following:
- Cost of your current and future medical bills
- Pain and Suffering
- Past and Future lost wages and benefits: This refers to the pay you could have earned but have been unable to do so because of your injuries. You can claim this in a personal injury claim against an at-fault party.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: When you have suffered a physical or mental injury and that injury stops you from doing activities you enjoyed before your injuries.
- Mental anguish damages: These damages cover certain types of suffering. These types of suffering may include distress, anxiety, fright, depression, grief, or trauma that you have from this event.
- Punitive damages against the company or manufacturer: These are the damages you receive to punish the defendant for their bad conduct. These damages help reform or deter the defendant and others from engaging in this conduct and similar conduct again.
Get a Free Consultation with a Talc Baby Powder Lawyer
If you or someone you love has developed ovarian cancer after using talc baby powder, we would like to offer you a free consultation. Our toll-free number is 1-877-943-WEST (9378), there’s also no cost to you unless or until you recover compensation. You can also check out our Talcum Powder FAQ or our page which has answers to some of the most commons questions regarding these cases.
West Law Firm is based in West Virginia, but for Johnson & Johnson Talc Powder cases, we co-counsel with the national law firm Onder Law LLC who has recovered over $3 Billion for clients. That means we serve clients throughout the country and you get two law firms for just one attorney’s fee. Also, there’s No Fee unless you recover compensation.
Brooks West is a West Virginia personal injury lawyer who helps people who have been injured by negligence or wrongful conduct. He is the President and founder of West Law Firm and has been an attorney since 2005. Brooks is a Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum member and has been awarded the AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.