Talcum Powder FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions About Talcum Powder Claims
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer after using talcum powder, you may need to seek legal assistance. At West Law Firm, our West Virginia talcum powder attorney is ready to take your case forward. Let us offer you a free consultation. Our goal is to investigate your case and move to secure the compensation you truly deserve. You should not have to pay for a company’s negligent behavior.
What Has Happened To People Due To Using Talcum Powder?
You may have heard about the lawsuits filed against Johnson & Johnson for selling talcum powder and not disclosing a potential risk of cancer. Various products contain talc, including medications, antacids, cosmetics, and contraceptives. Talc minerals are found in nature and are ground finely for product usage.
The National Cancer Institute and the American Cancer Society currently say the link between talcum powder and ovarian cancer is unclear.
However, we need to look at recent scientific studies that show a consistent association between talc powder use and ovarian cancer.
- An Epidemiology study shows that women who use talcum powder in their genital area are approximately 30% more likely to develop ovarian cancer in their lifetime.
- The Internal Journal of Gynecological Cancer says that frequent use of talc powder in the genital area by women increases the risk of ovarian cancer by 60%.
Are These Products Recalled Or Will They Be Recalled?
There have been no recalls of Johnson & Johnson baby powder products. This is despite the many cases of cancer linked to using these products.
Have There Been Successful Cases Brought Against Johnson & Johnson?
Yes, there have been successes with these cases. Right now, there are over 12,000 plaintiffs with cases against Johnson & Johnson and its talc supplier, Imerys Talc America. Some of the recent talc powder cases include:
- 2016 Giannecchini vs Johnson & Johnson: Deborah Giannecchini used baby powder for over 40 years and was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at age 59. She was awarded a $70 million verdict.
- 2017 Slemp vs Johnson & Johnson: Ms. Slemp, 62, was awarded $5.4 million in compensatory damages and $105 million in punitive damages for Johnson & Johnson failing to disclose cancer risk from their talc products.
- 2018 Ingham et al. vs Johnson & Johnson: $550 million in actual damage and $4.15 billion in punitive damages were awarded to 22 women for Johnson & Johnson talcum powder products shown to have been laced with asbestos for decades.
These cases are usually in the form of product liability claims and wrongful death claims.
Can I Get Compensation For A Talcum Powder Case?
We know that you are going through a tough time, and this seems like an uphill battle. At West Law Firm, our qualified and experienced team is going to conduct a thorough investigation in order to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Recovery of income lost if you are unable to work
- Cost of your current and future medical bills
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages against the company or manufacturer
Contact West Injury Law Today For Legal Guidance
You will not have to pay any out-of-pocket costs, and we only collect our fees if we get the compensation you deserve. When you need a West Virginia talc powder attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 1 (877) 943-9378.