The Rights of Nursing Home Residents in West Virginia
Nursing Homes’ Duties to Residents
Most people do not ever want to leave their homes and move to a nursing home. However, when circumstances and need require such a move, that doesn’t mean the new nursing home resident has to give up his or her rights and dignity.
In fact, nursing home residents have certain rights and protections mandated by federal and West Virginia law. All nursing homes must list, honor and give each new resident a copy of these rights or be subject to penalty.
These resident rights include, but are not limited to:
1. The right to be treated with dignity and respect.
2. The right to be informed in writing about services and fees before you or a loved one enters the nursing home.
3. The right to manage your own money or to choose someone else you trust to do this for you.
4. The right to privacy, and to keep and use your personal belongings and property as long as it doesn’t interfere with the rights, health, or safety of others.
5. The right to be informed about your medical condition, medications, and to see your own doctor. You also have the right to refuse medications and treatments.
6. The right to have a choice over your schedule (for example, when you get up and go to sleep), your activities and other preferences that are important to you.
7. The right to an environment more like a home that maximizes your comfort and provides you with assistance to be as independent as possible.
Learn more about your or your loved one’s rights as a nursing home resident.
For more information, see Medicare’s Guide to Choosing a Nursing Home and Medicare Coverage of Skilled Nursing Care.
Free Consultation with a West Virginia Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse Lawyer
At West Law Firm, we hope that if you or a loved one becomes a nursing home resident, that all of your rights are honored and that you get the best possible care. However, if you think you or your loved one’s rights were violated or a victim of medical malpractice and suffered bodily injury or wrongful death, calling an experienced nursing home injury lawyer is an important step to putting an end to violations by the nursing home and recovering full and fair compensation for your losses.
That’s why we offer free and confidential consultations and invite you to call our toll free number today at 1-877-943-WEST (1-877-943-9378). We are located in Charleston, West Virginia and serve clients throughout the state. If you can’t come to us, we will send an experienced injury lawyer to you. There is Absolutely No Fee unless and until we recover money for you.