Pain Killers — Nature’s Way
Millions of people suffer from chronic pain caused by accidents, injuries, or health conditions like arthritis. Fortunately, there are a number of natural pain killers that can help reduce or eliminate your pain after an accident or injury.
Although some herbs may not be as fast-acting as standard pain medication, herbs can significantly reduce your pain when they are used regularly. Many herbs also help heal the body, where conventional pain medicine usually does nothing to heal the underlying injury and often has potentially dangerous side effects.
Below are some of the most common natural pain relievers. They can all be found at Amazon.com. Most or all of these can be found at your local health food store, and many can even be found at your local grocery store or mega mart:
- Boswellia – Derived from a resin found in the bark of frankincense trees, boswellia has been used for centuries to relieve pain. It was considered so valuable in ancient times that it was one of the gifts brought by the Wise Men to Baby Jesus. It is used to treat arthritis and it may help people suffering from inflammatory bowel disease.
- Devil’s Claw – Devil’s Claw has been used for centuries to treat rheumatoid arthritis. It is also believed to soothe pain resulting from tendonitis, osteoarthritis, and back and neck issues. In a study seven years ago of 259 people suffering from rheumatic conditions, researchers found that 60 percent of the sample reduced or stopped their pain medication after eight weeks of taking the herb.
- White Willow Bark – The presence of aspirin-like compounds means white willow bark was found to be highly effective as conventional medicine in reducing pain among people with mild to fairly severe knee and hip problems, a 2008 study found. It may also alleviate acute joint pain, back pain and osteoarthritis.
- Ginger – Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory. It has been used for thousands of years by the Chinese to cure pain. It helps relieve arthritis, nausea, headaches, menstrual cramps, and soreness in the muscles.
- Turmeric – It gives curry a distinctive color and flavor but turmeric also has a plethora of pain relief benefits. Now a body of new research suggests that turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory property. It is also believed to help cancer patients and helps improve circulation and prevent blood clotting.
- Bromelain – Bromelain is an enzyme extracted from pineapple stems. It reduces levels of prostaglandins, hormones that induce inflammation. It is beneficial to people with arthritis and conditions marked by musculoskeletal tension.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids — Certain foods have been identified as “anti-inflammatory.” They are believed to reduce chronic inflammation and pain. Omega-3 acids are found in fish, certain nuts, and even chocolate.
Natural Pain Killers that also Help Anxiety and Boost Moods
Injuries and chronic pain can often lead to challenges with anxiety and depression. Fortunately, nature has provided us a number of remedies that help reduce pain while alleviating anxiety and depression. Some of the more well studies herbs are below.
- SAMe – Looking for a quick mood booster and something to relieve pain? Consider SAMe. SAMe is found throughout the body, with especially high concentrations in the adrenals, liver and brain. As a supplement, SAMe has been extensively studied as both an osteoarthritis pain reliever and an antidepressant, with generally positive results.
- 5-HTP – For those with fibromyalgia and other chronic pain conditions, 5-HTP may help to increase deep sleep and reduce pain. In one study published in the Alternative Medicine Review, researchers reported that supplementation with 5-HTP may improve symptoms of depression, anxiety, insomnia, and fibromyalgia pain.
- Valerian Root – Valerian has been used for centuries to help regulate the nervous system and relieve tension, irritability, insomnia, stress, and anxiety. It is also a natural pain reliever that reduces nerve sensibility.
- Chamomile – This herb can decrease pain and some of its compounds bind to the same brain receptors as drugs like Valium and thus help insomnia and anxiety.
Caution: Many herbs are powerful medicine and may interact with prescription medication
These plants and herbs are powerful and can interact with prescription medications. So, it’s important to talk with your healthcare provider before using them, especially when taking prescription medication. Please be especially careful when taking natural pain killers with blood thinners. Herbs and even conventional medicine are also typically more effective at reducing pain and inflammation when combined with relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga, daily exercise, sunshine and a healthy diet.
Pain due to an accident? Free Consult with a West Virginia Injury Lawyer
If you have been injured in a West Virginia accident, at work, or due to another’s carelessness, we invite you to a call one of our experienced injury lawyers for a free consultation. Our toll free number is 1-877-943-WEST (1-877-943-9378). There’s never a fee unless and until we recover money for you.