Did you know that more than 40,000 people are injured in work zones each year?
After two West Virginia Division of Highway workers were hit and injured in construction zones, Transportation Secretary, Paul Maddox, has issued a public statement regarding driving in work zones. Mattox has issued an advisory to all motorists to slow down and stay alert in work zones. This advisory is common sense. However, the statistics below are helpful reminders that when traveling through work zones, increased caution is needed.
Road construction is a necessary and normal part of keeping roads safe. Unfortunately, construction zones increase the risks of injury and death to both drivers and workers. According to the WV Department of Transportation spokeswoman Carrie Bly, both WV Division of Highway workers mentioned above were hit while clearing roadside debris resulting from Super Storm Sandy. One worker was hit by a car in Randolph County and suffered minor injuries. The other worker was hit by a vehicle in Nicholas County and is in critical condition.
The following are National Work Zone Car Crash statistics.
National Work Zone Car Crash Statistics
- Car accidents involving dangerous pavement-edge drop-offs kill approximately 160 people and injure 11,000 every year.
- Crashes in highway work zones have killed at least 4,700 Americans – more than two a day – and injured 200,000 in the last five years alone.
- In 2009, there were 667 work zone fatalities.
- There are more than 40,000 injuries in work zones each year.
- Approximately one work zone fatality occurs every 10 hours (2.3 a day).
- Approximately one work zone injury occurs every 13 minutes (110 a day).
- There were 162 large trucks and buses that were involved in work zone crashes in 2009.
West Virginia’s urgent message to all motorists: Please use caution, slow down and stay alert in work zones.
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident because of someone else’s negligence, it is advisable to speak with an attorney experienced in handling car accidents as soon as possible. A West Virginia auto accident lawyer at West Law Office is available for free consultations.