Car Accident Attorneys in Charleston, WV
If you’ve been injured in a West Virginia auto accident because of someone else’s negligence, having lawyers on your side with a successful track record will help ensure your rights are protected and that you receive full and fair compensation. The personal injury attorneys at West Law Firm have decades of combined experience and have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients.
Our experience, skill and reputation for standing up and fighting for clients’ rights means better legal service and financial results for you. For a Free Case Evaluation, call one of our experienced West Virginia auto accident attorneys today. Our toll-free number is 1-877-943-9378, and at West Law Firm, there’s NO FEE unless and until you win.
What to do After a West Virginia Car Crash
1. If you haven’t already, call 911 so that law enforcement can complete a West Virginia Traffic Crash Report. If the auto accident caused injuries, you are required by law to report the accident. Reporting the accident will also help an investigating officer determine who was at fault, which may help prove your case.
2. Seek medical care for any injuries. Call an ambulance if necessary or visit an emergency care facility as soon as you leave the scene of the accident. If you delay in seeking treatment for injuries, the insurance company may reduce your claim as a result, especially for longer delays.
3. Get contact information from all people involved, including names, phone numbers, addresses and the insurance information. In addition, gather the names and contact information for any witnesses and try to get them to give you a recorded statement of what they witnessed (save it on a smart phone if possible).
4. Do not discuss the accident or your injuries with anyone other than the police, your doctor or your lawyer. Giving statements to insurance representatives or signing documents without speaking to an auto accident lawyer first can cause you to receive less than fair compensation.
How Much is My West Virginia Auto Accident Case Worth?
This is a question we hear often because of the financial burden auto accidents can cause. The general answer is every case is different. The money you will receive if injured by a negligent driver will depend on the extent of your injuries, medical bills, how bad the at-fault-driver’s negligence was, whether you missed work, the future impact the crash will have on your life, mobility and activities, and many other factors that an experienced auto accident lawyer should be familiar with.
Under West Virginia’s personal injury laws, you may be entitled to receive compensation for a number of losses related to your accident, including those below:
1. Pain and suffering – past and future
2. Medical expenses – past and future
3. Lost wages – past and future
4. Loss of consortium
5. Property damage – past and future
6. Reduced life-time earnings caused by injuries
7. Punitive damages when the at-fault-driver acted willfully or recklessly, like choosing to drive drunk
8. Loss of household services – past and future
West Law Firm — Experience That Matters
Choosing the right lawyer can make a massive difference in whether you recover fair compensation and receive excellent legal service. Many lawyers and law firms are general practitioners and handle a garden variety of cases. At West Law Firm, we only handle personal injury cases so that we have the skill, knowledge and experience needed to get the best results for injured clients. Also, because of our decades of combined experience handling personal injury claims, insurance companies know we fight hard for our clients, and that means better results for you.
Some of the many ways we can help you with your car accident case:
- We handle all aspects of your case including the fine print paperwork, communications with insurance representatives, and helping you navigate the medical system.
- We can help you recover full and fair compensation — Insurance companies typically pay more for accident claims when an experienced attorney represents the injured.
- We can help you get the best possible medical treatment, even when they don’t have health insurance.
- We can stop harassing bill collectors.
- Because of our experience and top rated team, we can help you get full and fair compensation as quickly as possible.
Why Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney Immediately after a Car Wreck?
Under West Virginia law, you only have a limited amount of time to file a claim. Also, critical evidence can be lost, destroyed or will fade with time. For example skid marks often quickly fade and need to be properly photographed as soon as possible. Our lawyers have the experience and skill needed to make sure the evidence is preserved and effectively presented to insurance adjusters.
Insurance adjusters also often try to get recorded statements from car accident victims before they have had the opportunity to speak with an attorney. This can be a real problem in obtaining a fair settlement because some auto insurance adjusters will manipulate accident victims with leading and argumentative questions, which often lead to inaccurate statements that can be later used against the car accident victim. An experienced West Virginia car accident attorney like those at West Law Firm can help protect you to make sure this doesn’t happen.
Dealing with West Virginia Automobile Insurance Adjusters
If you’re injured in a West Virginia car accident, a representative of the negligent party’s auto insurance company may call and make an offer to settle your claim. Please remember that signing a release in exchange for a quick settlement check will terminate your rights to fair compensation forever, even if you need future medical care because of accident related injuries. Not only would settling your case too early prevent you from recovering fair compensation, it could also prevent you from being able to obtain the medical care needed to make a full recovery.
Also, despite the pleasant picture car insurance companies try to paint of themselves with billions of dollars in advertising, keep in mind that insurance companies are businesses out to make a profit. Therefore, even if the insurance company makes what you believe is a fair settlement offer, it’s usually in your best interest to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to evaluate your case and the insurance adjuster’s settlement offer. A West Virginia car accident attorney at West Law Firm would be happy to give you a free case review and let you know whether he thinks the insurance company’s offer is fair or not free of charge.
Top 4 Biggest Mistakes to Avoid After an Auto Accident in West Virginia
What you do and, perhaps more importantly, what you don’t do following a car accident can significantly impact whether you receive fair compensation for your injuries. Our years of experience as West Virginia car accident lawyers has taught us that there are a few common mistakes that people often make following an auto accident. Becoming aware of them is a good way to protect yourself.
1. Failing to seek immediate medical attention
The most common mistake we see people injured in auto accidents make is not seeking immediate medical attention, even though they’re injured. Often, folks just want to try and “shake it off” and hope that their pain and injuries will just go away. While this is a normal reaction, an insurance adjuster will attempt to use this delay in treatment to argue that you were not really injured or you would have sought immediate medical attention. West Virginia law also requires proof that your injuries are directly related to the auto accident. The sooner that your injuries are evaluated and diagnosed, the easier it will be to prove that they are the result of the other driver’s negligence.
2. Talking to the other driver’s car insurance company
Many people speak with the other driver’s insurance company before first consulting with an experienced car accident lawyer. Some even think they are obligated to talk to them and give them recorded statements about the auto accident. This is NOT true. You may be sure that fault is clear and that giving your version of the auto accident can’t hurt you, but remember that the person calling you works for the OTHER person’s insurance company. You may easily say something that they can and will try to use against you when it comes time to settle your West Virginia car accident claim. The easiest way to avoid making any of these common mistakes is to contact an experienced accident lawyer as soon as possible.
3. Delay in hiring or getting a free consultation from a car accident attorney
As mentioned above, one of the biggest mistakes people make is speaking with the other driver’s insurance representative before speaking with an experienced auto accident attorney. At West Law Firm, we offer free consultations, and we will let you know whether we think you need a lawyer or not. If you would like a free detailed evaluation of your West Virginia auto accident claim, we invite you to contact an experienced Charleston, West Virginia car accident lawyer at West Law Firm. Call us toll free at 1-877-934-9378.
4. Failing to maintain uninsurance and underinsurance motorist coverage on their auto insurance policy
Although this mistake occurs before a crash, it’s so important that we want to mention it here. For more details, please see our recent article on uninsurance underinsurance motorist coverage that is critical to protecting you and your family in the event that you’re injured in a West Virginia car crash.
Free Consultation with a Charleston, West Virginia Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, at work, or because of negligence we invite you to call West Law Firm today for a Free Consultation. Our toll-free number is 1-877-943-9378, and there’s never a fee unless and until we recover compensation for you. If you can’t come to us, we will send an experienced West Virginia personal injury lawyer to you.
Additional West Virginia Car, Truck, SUV Accident Resources:
Submit your review
West law firm is one of the greatest firms out there. They did an outstanding job with me. Friendly, respectful, and great bunch of people i highly recommend them to everyone!
They helped me with my case and were nice and quick with results 🙂
Great team they have!